This was by far the most unexpected thing that happened all year.
Today I was running some errands in Chandler, and had to make a stop at a WaMu in order to use our "Governement Stimulus Package" to stimulate ASU's summer school tuition fund. (crappy way to spend free money)
Well, I noticed a blonde guy as I walked in ,but didn't think too much of it until I was heading out. He turned around and asked
Blonde Guy: Can I ask you a question?
Me: (somewhat hesitent) ...sure...
Blonde Guy: Were you at the MTC during July of '01 ?
Me: (starting to form a dorky and perplexed smile) Yes I was actually.
Blonde Guy: so was I, and I remember you!
Me: (excited) What's your name?
Blonde Guy: Elder Keith. I was there from June 27th to July 16th.
Me: That's the exact dates I was there also!... How funny is that?
Are you from here?
Elder Keith: I'm from Thatcher, but my wife and I live here in Chandler.
Me: (still amazed at the randomness of it all) ...wow. cool!
Elder Keith: Weren't you really good at memorizing discussion? Do you remember that?
Me: yep... I remeber being put on display for that and being treated like a zoo animal.
Elder Keith: (laughs)
WaMu employee: (non stop smiles)
Me: (to everyone ) can you believe this? This is so funny!. (to elder Keith) Can I take a picture of you? I want to put this on my blog!
Elder Keith: Sure
(WaMu employee takes picture of us)
Me: Do you have a blog?
Elder keith: yea, I'll write it down. (writes on the back of my transaction slip)
Me: Hey, I gotta go, but nice to see you again.
Elder Keith: Yea. Send us your blog also sometime.
Me: okay. Bye!
Is that crazy or what? He remembered me from brief encounters that happened 7 years ago!!! We weren't even in the same district or anything. I'm sure he thought I had a great memory when it came to discussions, but his memory is pretty dang good also!
History Bit:
Before I entered the MTC I memorized discussion 1-3. At the MTC,I got up by 4 a.m. every morning to study in order to pass off 4-6 before I left, which, with a ton of prayer and sweat, was able to do successfully. But I was treated weird up there. I got harrassed a lot during meal times by elder I didn't know. People liked to test me to see if I really did know them all. They would ask questions like:
"What is the 4th discussion, 3rd priciple, 5th paragraph say? "
And then they would bust out their discussions to that page to make sure I din't skip any "and's" , "the's", or "but's". It was kind of stressful being surrounded by strangers in the lunch line who want to drill ya. Oh well.

Year 2008

Year 2001
Now (this is Jordan again) here's the funny part. When she asked to take our picture I immediately remembered that I had taken a picture with her on "laundry day" at the MTC. I think this was the day before I headed out into the field so I was getting laundry ready to go (hence the interesting missionary garb.) I just thought it was hilarious that I found this old picture and to compare the "same pose." I'm glad we made such lasting impressions on each other. Her much more on me though. I think that's just so awesome she had those discussions memorized like she did. It took me a couple months into the mission to pass them all off.
1 comment:
That is great...what a small world! Where did she serve? She wasn't here in NY with us...right? Take care...how is your wife doing with baby #2 on the way?
Post a Comment